Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Back in 2004, I asked [Google founders] Page and Brin what they saw as the future of Google search. 'It will be included in people's brains,' said Page. 'When you think about something and don't really know much about it, you will automatically get information.'

'That's true,' said Brin. 'Ultimately I view Google as a way to augment your brain with the knowledge of the world. Right now you go into your computer and type a phrase, but you can imagine that it could be easier in the future, that you can have just devices you talk into, or you can have computers that pay attention to what's going on around them and suggest useful information.'

'Somebody introduces themselves to you, and your watch goes to your web page,' said Page. 'Or if you met this person two years ago, this is what they said to you... Eventually you'll have the implant, where if you think about a fact, it will just tell you the answer."

-From In the Plex by Steven Levy (p.67)

The extensive use of the internet seems to dull the mind. The way we are headed soon literally EVERYTHING will be done online. As a world we are headed to extreme laziness. Not to say I don't fall under this category because I use the internet daily. Computers do most of your thinking for you and not nearly as much work is required compared to pre-internet times. Also with every media website just one click away its easy to become distracted. I don't want to imagine having to do some of the research that is assigned to me without the internet and I give kudos to the many, many who did it before me. I think elderly people who grew up without all the technology of today are stronger intellectually. I don't know where technology is heading because it's difficult to keep up anymore really, but it wouldn't surprise me if one day schools provided every student with a computer because they will be a requirement soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment